Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Women Connecting

My name is Julie; sometimes I am lovingly referred to as Jules.  For my fifty-third birthday, surrounded by jewels in my life, around thirty friends ate cake, drank, laughed and shared stories, hopes, and concerns.  A  PowerPoint presentation with photos and quotes from women in Malawi on a previous VoiceFlame Writers International trip made this birthday a celebration of the power of womens connection.

My favorite first born daughter surprised me by flying all the way from Switzerland to Seattle.  What a surprise, what a gift.  I've learned so much from my daughter, now a woman who chooses her words wisely with care.  She makes me laugh.

I haven't stepped foot into the "warm heart of Africa," but my heart is pulsing with gratitude for the women in my life, the women who will welcome me when I arrive in Malawi, all women.  Some have given blessings, words of encouragement, others little gifts like mosquito wipes and a lavender stress ball, and/or donated funds to support the education for women and girls and the costs of leadership training for women to learn the Amherst Writers & Artists method for writing.  Zikomo!  Thank you!

Since it was my party, we did what ever I wanted.  We wrote.
"It's really true that getting woman together to realize themselves and power is so important!  Women, who together through gaining self knowledge and confidence, can accomplish so much.  Writing they can learn a lot about themselves and how they relate to the world and others."  Ellen


One woman wrote a letter to a woman who is no longer alive, but her legacy lives on in a preschool and through the things she said, words my friend remembered.
"I loved the way you lived life with great gusto; always doing and doing, often for others.  I quote you pretty often it seems.  My favorite: 'You either have a good day or a story to tell.' So in some way every day is a 'winner.'"  Barb


I look forward to personally delivering a letter from a friend of mine adressed to a 
"Dear Woman of Malawi," ...

We are all connected!


Today, 
Did you have a good day?  
Do you have a story to tell?


In what way(s) was your day a winner?

No comments:

Post a Comment